The nature of convict or colonial presence, including the factors that influenced patterns of development, aspects of the daily life of the inhabitants (including Aboriginal Peoples and Torres Strait Islander Peoples) and how the environment changed. (ACHHK094)
Students explore life of a convict in the Fremantle prison.
– Develop students understanding of life in prison. Ask students what they think it would be like today?
Listen to answers. Then ask what they think prison would have been like for the convicts.
– Watch clip – Fremantle Prison
– Let students choose from one of these biographies
– Ask students: ‘What does this tell you about the life of a convict?’ ‘Was it easy?’ etc.
– Have students draw a picture of the essential items they would need to be happy. Ask them to draw a picture of 1 room (a small room) and have them draw their own prison cell.
– Remind them that it needs a bed, a toilet and a basin.
– If possible have the students draw up measurements so that all rooms are the same.