Curriculum Code: Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
Use a range of software including word processing programs with fluency to construct, edit and publish written text, and select, edit and place visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1707)
Students develop the structure of a non-fiction story through fantasy stories.
– Discuss with students the different between real and make-believe stories. Discuss the ideas presented. Instruct students that make-believe stories in which un-realistic things happen, like a car flying to the moon are called fantasy stories. Fantasy story are special because they take realistic characters or settings and give them characteristics that are not possible in the real world.
– Watch the following link – World’s Weirdest Animal Faces (s01e01) There are various animals but you can watch the clip starting at 31:57 till 38:12 about the Thorny Devil.
– As the students are watching get them to develop thought about special names of the location and different characteristics for the Horny Devil or the animal of your choice.
– Students now talk about the different names and ideas they had to create these animals into make-believe fantasy stories.
– Place ideas on the IWB so that all students can see them.
– Ask students to start to construct their fantasy story. Create a Fantasy Story structure based on the animal you picked. Students will need to show the plan to a teacher before beginning their writing.
– Once students have finished writing the story that will need to find a fellow classmate to proof read their work looking for capitals, full stops, correct grammar and punctuation. On returning it, the teacher will then proof read the work and the student can then take their story and start producing it online.
Using Word or PowerPoint students will construct their story, using sentences, paragraphs and the correct structure.
– Pictures can be added/drawn to complete the book.
*This is an activity which can be carried out over time*